Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Under Attack


The evil one both hates and loves ordained men. He hates the ones who truly serve God and loves the ones he can corrupt. We were warned about this when we were in the pre-aspirancy to the diaconate. The men in the formation classes ahead of mine and ordained friends I have talked to all attest to this being true. The devil and his minions love to attack these men because they either hope to discourage them away from their vocations or they wish to corrupt them into being bad servants. A bad shepherd corrupts the entire flock.

I knew that this would be something I would have to contend with at some point. I did not expect to have to wage this war so soon. Satan is a cunning, sneaky master of deceit. He is the father of lies and extremely skillful at his craft. I came very close to walking away from the diaconate over our holiday break before I recognized his handiwork. Now that I am aware of what his manipulation feels like I know that I have felt it for as long as I have also felt God’s call to serve.

A good friend could sense the struggle I was having and gave me a call. He reminded me that the devil doesn’t attack those he already has. He also doesn’t attack those who have no influence over others. Those who can do him the most damage get the worst attacks. If I were being attacked it must mean I am doing something right or stand to be an adversary in the future. He was an encouraging light for a soul in the shadows.

Now that I know what Satan’s hand in my life feels like I can look back and see the effects he has over me. I can clearly see now that the moment he got what he was trying to accomplish his presence would live me as quickly as it came to me. It is eerie when you can feel the darkness suddenly leave you. Now that I can recognize it I can try to do a better job at combating it. At least I hope I can. May God be my shield and sword.

I cannot imagine how badly some of our holy men and women get attacked. There is a growing darkness in this world feeding hate. Satan is sowing the seeds of deceit, hate, and chaos and his garden is growing rapidly.

Pray for your bishops, priests, deacons, and those who have chosen religious life. Pray for our Pope. Pray for them to be holy men and women for they do battle with evil every day.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will be scattered.” – Matthew 26: 31.

Father, send down the Holy Spirit unto those you have called to inspire and guide them to always be good and holy people who will lead your people closer to you.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
cast into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen



And please pray for me and my brothers in diaconate formation; that we may stay strong and not give into the attacks that await us.



Be a blessing to everyone you meet and allow them to be a blessing to you.

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and our brothers daily. It is only through the sheer grace of God that I am even lucky enough to know you men. I pray that he will continue to guide us through our discernment, and to give us the strength we need to continue. We must seek him in the Sacraments for that Grace. Tomorrow at Mass we hear the parable of the sower and the seed. Lord grant me the grace to be fertile ground, receiving your word to let it grow. If there are any rocks in your way, till me, mold me, grind me until I am what you need.. and not what I am. God bless Bob, we are here for you. Do not hesitate to reach out.

    ReplyDelete