Monday, May 9, 2016

One Down...


The first year of diaconate formation is officially in the books. I cannot believe how fast this year has gone. It feels like only yesterday that I received my acceptance letter. I am surrounded by a great group of guys, each bringing a special gift to our group. I feel truly blessed to be among them. The knowledge and insight they bring to the party is incredible. Brother Brian summed up the experience for himself in one word – humbling. I think he correctly reflected the feeling we all share.

This year has been a whirlwind of classes on subjects like intros into theology and philosophy. We learned a bit on evangelization and stewardship. There were classes on spirituality, morality, and the types of prayer. We got an introduction on how to properly interpret the bible and took a deeper dive into the Old Testament. Some of the classes were light hearted and fun. Some left our heads hurting from the depth of information we received. All the classes I would compare to a great steak dinner – we were left thoroughly satisfied but longing for more.

One thing that became more and more apparent with every class is the depth of beauty and sheer genius of the Catholic faith, indeed, the entire human design. To be able to look at the internal working of life and not be able to see the hand of the divine creator constantly at work boggles my mind. To be able to see the hand of God at work boggles my mind even more. I can only equate it to what it must be like for a new born baby opening his eyes for the first time. Welcome to a much bigger world. We have so much to learn.

I am so humbled and thankful for not only my brothers I travel this road with but all of our wives who are the bedrock of support for us. We could not do this without you. We are especially thankful for Betsy who can support Bill and all of us in ways no one else can. Please pray for us, our formation, and our spiritual welfare as we continue this journey together.

Rockford Diocese Diaconate Formation Class of 2020 - now in Aspirancy 2

Rockford Diocese Office where we have classes

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago as I read the bible from cover to cover, I thought I knew all there was to know. I was convinced by the pastors and elders of the church that everything that could be learned could be learned from the Bible and that I should keep my head out of others books; even to the point that my grandfather would not allow me to bring my biology text book into his house but had to instead leave my backpack out on the porch while I was staying there.

    Years later, still studying those same scriptures, I have learned that the depth of God cannot be contained in a single book, even one as powerfully inspired as the Bible. It is rather contained in a person, Jesus Christ himself. That realization lead me into a further understanding of him, a growing knowledge, a desire for more. Thank you for being on this journey with me Bob and always being encouraging, uplifting, and supportive of us. Praying for each of you!

    ReplyDelete